Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Love for Japan

Last Monday, May 16, 2011, I had a meeting that punched me right in the face like a wake up call...

I met five Japanese business men and talked about possible business proposition between the two companies. Two of them can speak Indonesian, and all of them speak English quite fluently. But I took the chance to communicate in Nihongo every now and then in the meeting and afterwards.

I haven't met and talked to a Japanese in two years, and I never fully realized how much I had missed it! The meeting lasted for two hours and ten minutes after they left I was bursting in tears. Suddenly I realized, my love for Japan is still far too strong to be forgotten.

My first love for Japan started in the year 1995, when I nearly graduated from high school. The first Japanese dorama ever aired in Indonesia, Tokyo Love Story, was on in Indosiar TV station and it was becoming such a hype. I never missed an episode! When the dorama reached the end, I was left crying for a whole week. A WHOLE WEEK!

I couldn't believe the male character, Kanchi/Kanji Nagao, would break the heart of Rika Akana, the leading female character. Rika is a cheerful girl with warm heart, fun and full of love. A day is never boring with her. Rika falls deeply in love with Kanchi and basically does everything to make him happy. Kanchi is a gloomy person, so with Rika, the world seems much lighter and more exciting. Instead, he chooses Satomi Sakeguchi, another gloomy character with a grouchy face. Her mouth is always sullen, and her hesitated act is very annoying. Such a boring character!

My heart was broken, along with Rika's. My curiosity became very high. What an idiot Japanese! What the hell was Kanchi thinking?! And why the "seemed to be inferior" Satomi can be so dominating in disguise? What kind of culture influenced their way of thinking?

The dorama ended just after university application for me. I suddenly had the urge to learn Japanese language and culture. But it was too late. I was already accepted in Actuary diploma program and had paid for the first year's tuition. Seeing my passion to learn Japanese, my mom allowed me to apply for Japanese diploma program if I wanted to. But I know the tuition paid would be lost. And being fully aware of my parents' financial condition back then, I just didn't have the heart to do it.

A year passed by, I was doing quite good in Actuary program. I made good grades and had good friends. But the love was just too hard to ignore. I decided to take prep class for university exam, and determined to apply for Japanese bachelor program --which cost about 1/4 than the diploma program--. Took the exam, and... I got in! I left my Actuary program, started my day as a freshman again in the Japanese bachelor program. A year wasted, said my brother. But I didn't care. All I know is my parents would pay much less for the bachelor program (for 4 years) rather than the diploma program of total 3 years. So, selfishly I'd say I didn't cause them lose money.

Four years spent in the Japanese bachelor program and I loved every moment of it! It wasn't easy, and I wasn't the smartest person in class. But my passion was really strong for the language and culture. I made a few Japanese friends and the story of why I wanted to learn Japanese got me a ticket to attend "Nihongo Sekai Gakusei Forum 2000" (World's Japanese Speaking Student Forum Year 2000) in Ogaki, Japan.
I was shocked when my Sensei put my name as one of the candidates, because like I said, I wasn't the smartest one in my class. Here's what Yamazaki Sensei said: Widi, of course I know you're not the smartest one. But this is an international forum. Every attendant must speak their mind in the forum. Those smart kids in your class don't even always have the guts to speak their mind in the class, let alone in an international forum. So, be confident! I'm sure you can do this.

So, basically I was nominated due to my shamelessness to speak in Japanese, no matter how lousy my grammar probably was. :p Four students were nominated. We were to write an essay in Japanese, record our voice reading the essay we wrote... The essay and voice record was then sent to the event's committee, for their consideration. Looking at the lame subject I picked for the essay, "Nihongo wo Narau Riyuu" (The Reason for Studying Japanese) I didn't think I'd be chosen. But I was! Together with my junior, Florian Hutagalung, we were sent to Ogaki, Japan, and spent a week expanding our Japanese knowledge along with other students from 28 countries. It was an experience I would never forget!

Anyway... It was 11 years ago. After graduating in the same year, I spent seven months working as Japanese Guest Relation Officer in a five-star hotel, and over seven years in Japanese-comic publishing company. I got more opportunities to visit Japan (Tokyo) during my seven and a half years' working in the publishing company and was very happy!

Course of life changes and I moved to another publishing company. Here, after over two years of working, I only got one chance to visit Japan. And less and less opportunity to work with Japanese (language and people). My vocab is getting poor, and I seemed to have neglected my passion. My meeting last Monday opened my eyes... I need to get back on track and re-live my passion for Japan. I am determined to look for another job, which connects me back to the language and culture.

Wish me luck, people! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment